RadioTag-14 is world's most advanced telemetry logger with radio download.
Radio download: you don't have to recapture animals
As you know (or as you will find out soon), capturing animals is difficult enough, especially birds. Recapturing, which was needed in case of legacy telemetry devices without radio download, is much harder. Main reasons for that are as following:
- When you are capturing animal for the first time, you can capture any animal from your species of interest. However, when you are recapturing animal in order to retrieve the data, you need to capture particular animal carrying the device.
- Animals do not like being caught for telemetry attachment. After being captured for the first time, many species start to avoid human even more than before. This makes recapturing them nearly impossible. We know about situation when animals where shot in order to retrieve telemetry devices (these were not devices manufactured by our company).
RadioTag-14 has automatic radio download feature. When animal carrying the device comes in range of base station, data from logger will be downloaded automatically and stored in base station. User may download data from base station to PC using USB cable at any convenient moment. Base station can be left at e.g. bird colony and operate autonomously or be carried by the operator.
Radio download in all cases is very convenient feature and in some cases it's only viable option.
Downloading range in line-of-sight (no obstacles between base station and logger) : 5 kilometers (3.10 miles)
Please note that this is our standard testing range and all units are tested on this range. We have reports of successful downloads from greater distances.
Plethora of sensors
RadioTag-14 is first wirelessly downloadable tag capable of collecting so many types of data:
- Geographical coordinates (GPS)
- Speed (GPS)
- Altitude (GPS)
- Pressure: both barometric (air pressure) and hydrostatic(under water)
- X axis
- Y axis
- Z axis
- Angular speed (speed of rotational motion) - measured using gyroscope
- X axis
- Y axis
- Z axis
- Terrestrial magnetism - measured using magnetometer (gives information about animal absolute orientation)
- X axis
- Y axis
- Z axis
- Light intensity
Compact size and small weight
General rule is that telemetry device weight should not exceed 3% of birds weight (of course there are some exceptions). Because of that, every gram of telemetry device matters. We kept that in mind when designing RadioTag-14.
Total weight (including battery): 10g
Enclosure dimensions: 17 x 15 x 33 mm
Capture the dynamics: burst collection capabilities
Sometimes you need to capture high-frequency bursts of data. For example:
- when analyzing animal's energy expenditure from its acceleration
- when studying diving dynamics (e.g. how fast diving animal reached particular depth and how much time stayed there)
- when analyzing phases of flight
- ... in many other applications, which you can invent much better than we do
RadioTag-14 allows you to capture high-frequency bursts from accelerometer and gyroscope:
- Accelerometer (X,Y,Z): 1 Hz, 10 Hz, 50 Hz, 100 Hz
- Gyroscope (X,Y,Z): 1 Hz, 10 Hz, 50 Hz, 100 Hz
During collecting high frequency burst from accelerometer / gyroscope, you can also collect additional information with 1Hz frequency (1 record per second). Those additional records may include:
- Magnetometer (X,Y,Z)
Of course, you can choose to collect all above data in a single burst. For example, it's entirely possible to collect burst with following contents: all axes from accelerometer collected with frequency of 50 Hz, all axes from gyroscope collected with 50 Hz, temperature collected with 1 Hz, pressure collected with 1 Hz, all axes from magnetometer collected with frequency of 1 Hz.
Burst duration (how much time one burst takes) and interval (how much time between bursts) are user-configurable.
It takes half an hour to learn
Our “Quick Start” video is only 32 minutes long. It explains everything needed to start capturing data and download it afterwards. RadioTag allows you to focus on your research.
Software that is joy to use
We know that software should be as simple and user-friendly as possible. In the field, you won't have time for studying puzzling interfaces. Keeping this in mind, we design our applications to be straightforward and minimize chances for human mistake.
Software has feature for quickly plotting gathered data. This allows you to browse your data in the field and verify that everything is going as planned. Now you don't need to manually read data file, you can have quick look at the plot and assess the situation.
Ultra resilient solar charging technology
Solar charging technology is much improved in RadioTag. When comparing to traditional solar chargers, RadioTag has following advantages:
- Much larger area of solar panel may be covered and charging will be continued. Most people don't know this, but in traditional solar panels, tiny dirt or feather on panel's surface typically renders it useless. See picture on the right for details.
- Charging even in low light conditions. Traditional solar chargers either work with full power or do not work at all (when there is too little light). For RadioTag-14 we developed special energy harvesting module, which allows solar charger to work even in very poor light conditions. Of course, in such conditions amount of generated power is less than in bright sunlight, but it's still worth to collect.
- Higher charging efficiency. We've used new, cutting-edge solar panels, which are 3-4 times more efficient than legacy ones.
Frequency hopping: reliable communications
Radio link utilizes frequency hopping. It means that during transmission, base station and logger rapidly switch communication frequency (many times per second). This method of transmission was first widely used on the battlefields, to increase robustness and privacy of communications. In telemetry system it greatly improves resistance against external interference (power transmission lines, wifi networks, cellular networks and other radio systems). Military-grade communication system at your service.
Blazing fast radio download - and why that matters
We have tested some competing devices which are currently on the market. RadioTag-14 has about 100 times faster wireless data transfer (see chart on the right). Main benefits of such fast data transfer are as following:
- Reduced waiting time when downloading data. This is important especially when human operator is downloading data using base station. Amount of data which is transferred in 14 seconds using RadioTag-14, takes over 35 minutes to transfer using fastest competing device we benchmarked. Imagine the difference it makes when there is night, bad weather and you are in the field downloading your loggers. However, as you can read below, comfort is not the only benefit.
- Reduced chances for tag leaving radio range before transmitting all data. Some birds come to the nest only for a very short time. If you would have to wait many minutes for complete data download, they could get out of range before that.
- Lower power consumption. During radio transmission logger consumes more energy, because it has to power all radio-related peripherals (amplifiers, filters etc.). Shorter radio transmission means less energy spent.
Core components are Industrial Grade or higher
Important hardware components, such as CPU or data memory were choosen without any compromise about quality. They are all at least Industrial Grade, which means that chance of malfunction is much lower than if we were using popular Consumer Grade parts.
Huge data memory
Each logger has 1.7 GB data memory. It can hold 30 millions of basic records (each basic record has timestamp, GPS coordinates, current values of all sensors and some additional statistics about logger). This is overwhelmingly more memory than most projects need. Even projects studying migrating birds very rarely need more than 30 thousands of positions per year. Such big memory is useful when e.g. you are researching migrating birds, but after one year, your birds did not come to the same location or did not return at all. When they come back after 2 or more years, loggers will be still collecting and storing data.
How long can it work on battery?
Short answer is: It depends on light conditions, but in many typical scenarios it can operate indefinitely.
Longer answer is below:
This question cannot be reliably answered with one number. Some vendors say something like this: “Ignoring solar charger and assuming perfect GPS conditions, our logger can collect X GPS positions”. Vendors use number of GPS positions, because GPS is main consumer of energy. We could have given such number too, and in case of this logger, number X would be about 600 positions. However, this number is worthless for the user. Why? Firstly, this logger has solar charger, so as you will see below, there is no point in neglecting that fact. Secondly, “perfect GPS conditions” almost never happen in the real world.
RadioTag-14 has very efficient solar panels. They have high impact on the amount of collected data, for example:
- During long-term tests in winter in Europe in Northern Poland (so there was not so much light) RadioTag-14 was able to operate indefinitely when GPS interval was 15 minutes. Many thousands of positions captured and logger still was able to collect data (it was able to charge faster than it consumed energy).
- In the same location during early spring (March), RadioTag-14 was able to operate indefinitely with GPS interval of 5 minutes.
Various enclosure options
We provide various enclosures types. One the picture on the right, you can see most popular enclosure variant: 3-point attachment one.
Available in different colors
Loggers come in white color by default. For many species that's perfectly OK, but in some cases it may make animal more visible for predators. For such situations, you can choose different color: e.g. olive green or brown. Loggers are painted using non-reflective paint, used by military for camouflage purposes.There are many colors available so please contact us if you have special requirements in that matter.
Multiple features inspired by customers
Around 80% of our development is driven by customers’ suggestions. Important examples of customer-inspired features in this logger are:
- Geofencing – you can set up to 2 zones with custom registration intervals. This is very helpful when you want to perform higher frequency GPS registration in certain areas. For example, conservationists use it to get better picture of animal behavior in proximity of human habitats. Of course there are many other possible applications: you can set more frequent registration in areas of special interest (e.g. water crossing, some migration episodes etc.) or you can use this feature to capture less positions in some areas if you are not interested in them.
- Custom registration intervals in selected hours – Imagine that your species sleeps at night (quite common scenario) and is active during the day. With this feature you can set for example to register only 1 position per hour during the night (to be sure that animal stayed at the same place during night) and 5-minute interval during the day (to normally register daily activity). This feature is also very useful if you know that your animal is highly active during selected hours (e.g. 2 hours at dawn and 2 hours at dusk). If that’s the case, you can set higher registration interval during those periods.
|RadioTag-14 Logger Full Version||1200 EUR||Logger with all sensors & features, as described on this page.|
|RadioTag-14 Logger Basic Version||1000 EUR||Same logger as Full Version, but without following sensors: pressure, gyroscope, magnetometer. High frequency burst registration is limited to accelerometer only. All other features described on this page are present.|
|RadioTag-14 Base Station||1000 EUR||Base station is required for remote data download from loggers. Single base station may handle up to 100 loggers. Single base station may work with loggers of both versions (full version and basic version).|
Note: In these prices, you get all accessories needed for working with your devices. Some vendors would charge you a lot for necessary accessories, such as cables, antennas etc. In our pricing policy, above prices are all what you are going to pay for your devices.
Please contact us
Our shipping address can be found on our contact page.